Nothing strikes more fear in the minds of athletes – novice and elite alike, than these four words: Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). We’ve all experienced it when we push our bodies a little too much or when trying a new activity.
This extreme muscle soreness is typically felt around 24 to 72 hours after intense exercise.
Reason for sore muscles after working out
Researchers have speculated on why DOMS happens. A wide range of hypotheses has been suggested, including muscle spasm, connective tissue damage, lactic acid, and a myriad of other possible reasons.
But one reason could be that specific exercises create micro-tears and damages in the muscle. After such, the muscle adapts to prevent muscle damage, and the result is soreness when these exercises are repeated.
Managing muscle soreness and pain
There have been plenty of therapies for muscle soreness. The treatments range from Non steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) drugs, cryotherapy or ice therapy, massage therapy, heat therapy, stretching, rest, and many more. Each of these therapies has its pros and cons. Non steroidal anti-inflammatories may be useful for pain relief, but side effects may include stomach pain, ulcers and kidney issues which may outweigh the benefits.
Using essential oils for sore muscles and pain
Can I relieve muscle & joint pain naturally? A great way to relieve muscle pain and sore joints is through the use of specific essential oils and botanical extracts. Oils and extracts that contain compounds to fight off inflammation, encourage healing, and even alleviate pain.
5 essential oils that tackle muscle soreness and pain relief:
Arnica – Bruising and Swelling
- Arnica montana and also known by its other names; wolf’s bane, leopard’s bane, mountain tobacco and mountain arnica, is a flowering plant from the sunflower family. Arnica has been used for hundreds of years in traditional medicine for its purported benefits.
- When used topically, Arnica may provide relief from muscle aches, inflammation and swelling, joint pain and sprains.
- There have been various studies conducted on the efficacy of Arnica with minor swelling and bruising. A 2006 double-blind study looked into 29 patients undergoing rhytidectomy at a tertiary care center and were treated with homeopathic Arnica or a placebo. The study found that patients taking Arnica exhibited less discoloration of the skin from bruising.
- A 2016 review found that Arnica was useful for the treatment in several conditions, including postoperative pain, swelling, and bruising. Recent studies even suggest that it may be beneficial in the treatment of burns too!
Peppermint – Muscle Pain and Soreness
- This hybrid mint between a watermint and spearmint has plenty of historical uses. Peppermint (Mentha Piperita) doesn’t just freshen our breath but also has potent anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
- Peppermint contains menthol, an organic compound that has a cooling and soothing effect. Peppermint has been used as a natural painkiller to relieve muscle pain, soreness and cramps. One study found that topical application of peppermint extract may raise the pain threshold.
Turmeric – Inflammation
- Turmeric is the spice that gives curry its vibrant yellow color. But did you know that this spice is also beneficial for extreme muscle soreness and muscle pain? Turmeric contains bioactive compounds with medicinal properties. One such compound is Curcumin; a compound is linked to potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.
- In one small study, two groups of healthy but untrained subjects were studied to find out the effects of local application of turmeric on delayed onset muscle soreness. One group was given ice massage while the other was treated with both ice massage and turmeric. Their results showed that ice massage, along with turmeric, produced more effect on delayed onset muscle soreness than just the ice massage. The researchers noted that this could be due to the anti-inflammatory property of turmeric. They added that turmeric might also “reduce inflammation by lowering histamine levels and may also stimulate the adrenal glands to increase production of inflammation-reducing hormones.”
Lavender – Analgesic and Anti-inflammatory
- Lavender (Lavendula anguvstifolia) is the most popular essential oil and well-loved throughout the world. We all associate Lavender with sleep, but this fragrant herb can also help with swelling and pain.
- One study found that treatment with lavender oil provided significant pain relief, mostly from the first dose, of 115 patients with aphthous ulceration. Also, they observed healing within three days of treatment compared to the baseline and placebo groups.
Ginger – Muscle Recovery
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale) is an incredibly versatile ingredient that’s often overlooked for its medical benefits. We may think of ginger as a remedy to soothe sore throat or cough, but research has shown that ginger has plenty of pain-relieving benefits!
- One study conducted by the University of Miami used ginger extract to study its effects on 247 patients with osteoarthritis. Researchers found that ginger extract reduced pain and stiffness in knee joints by 40% over the group using the placebo.
- Ginger contains compounds like Gingerol, shogaol, and other substances that can inhibit inflammation.
- One other small study found that ginger supplementation “may be used to accelerate recovery of muscle strength following intense exercise.”
These are the most popular and well-known essential oils for muscle pain relief. What if you could take these essential oils and combine them into one that’s safe and effective for muscle aches and pains?
Skinsations Hemp Oil Massage & Muscle Rub
Skinsations Hemp Oil Massage & Muscle Rub combines Arnica oil, Turmeric, Black Pepper, Peppermint, and other therapeutic-grade essential oils with a nutrient-dense organic Hemp seed oil base to help provide relief for sore muscles, cramps, pulled muscle, joint pain, and more!
Our proprietary formula of 10 pure essential oils is all perfectly blended together to create a non-greasy subtly cooling and then gently warming massage oil and rub. It penetrates deeply and acts fast! Its antiseptic properties help prevent signs of dryness and chafing too. Use Skinsations Hemp Oil Massage & Muscle Rub along with massage therapy to help alleviate delayed onset muscle soreness the minute you start to feel it. Don’t let muscle aches and pain ruin your day. Don’t let joint pain sideline you from life. Grab a bottle of Skinsations Hemp Oil Massage & Muscle Rub today!
With Arnica Montana and Capsicum a naturally warming extract from peppers, provides a gentle warming sensation to relax tense muscles.